Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flat tires, Meet cutes, and Missed texts

It's been approximately one year, ten months and two weeks since my last post. A great deal with this lapsed time has to do with not having a secure internet connection, a good deal to do with too much to do and too little time on my hands, and a little to do with an argument that I had with my older sister having to do with my blogging and the effects of my poisoned pen so to speak. Every time I would start a new blog entry, my mind would be plagued with the questions, "Who will read this?," and, "Who will take this the wrong way?" I know now that I can still write without A) getting myself in trouble with those I care about, and B) caring about who reads this. A lot has happened since my last post--break ups, new love, new apartments, fights, new friends, proposals, and a new baby-- but, I am getting ahead of myself. Let me take you back to the beginning...

About the time that I wrote my last post, I had gotten a flat tire on the way home from work. I hadn't realized the fact until I was half way home and by the time I got home my tire was DOA (as a nice gentleman at Discount Tire would later tell me). I kind of panicked because every time that I had been in this situation, I had some type of road side assistance i.e. AAA or Progressive, but I had just switched to Geico and had opted out of their road side because of the expense. Doh! After literally having a Homer Simpson moment and smacking myself in the head, I called my sister-in-law, you might know her better as Lobotomy Please. Although I had never changed a tire in my life, she was trained to by her father and she proceeded for the next half hour to talk me through it over the phone. Only a couple hiccups such as forgetting to tell me to unscrew the lug nuts before raising the car. Right as I had just finished lowering the car and re-tightening the lug nuts, a very tall guy walks up to me and asks me if I need help. Then my sister yells on the phone, "Where was he 30 minutes ago?!" He introduces himself and claims that he just got home from work (which I would later figure out was not quite the whole truth) and as I get off the phone he suggests that he re-does my work. All the time he's working on my car he's talking about how he's recently separated  and that his ex-wife is keeping his son from him and I'm thinking, "He's either hitting on me, a really nice guy, or going to kill me" When he offers me a ride because, "He doesn't trust spare tires," I go with my survival instincts and tell him I can handle myself.

Fast forward a few days, after I had bragged about my ability to change a tire, Boy and I were about ready to go out to eat when there came a knock on my door. Boy looked at me like, "Who are you expecting?" and all I could do was shrug. When the door opened, it was my would-be rescuer. He had come to invite me to a concert and to take credit for the tire-changing rescue. I politely said maybe and then he left. Boy proceeded to puff up like a testosterone-threatened peacock and asked if I was, "checking out on him." I told him no and to calm down. On the way to dinner, I asked him if he'd like to go to Steamboat with my older siblings and I for some birthday celebrating for myself (My sister in law's idea so that he could meet the siblings w/o the pressure of meething the whole family and still have some grown up fun). He started acting all uncomfortable (meeting family for the first time), so I changed the subject. That night would be the last I'd see of Boy. He had a tendency to be available when I wasn't and wanting to be with me until it showed an inkling of getting remotely serious. Que the disappearing act. (5 years of experience on and off) I would send him random texts at random intervals because I knew he didn't like to be "clinged to." The texts would go unreturned for the next few weeks (with no explanation)--which would be plenty of time for Neighbor Boy to sweep me off my feet. The meet cute I had encountered with him would be the beginning of something that I had only heard and read about but that story is to be continued on another day.

Song of the day: "Never ever ever getting back together" by Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment